- Happiness. Happiness that only comes from Heaven.
- Who are these? They are those whom Christ has saved with His own blood.
Who hunger and thirst
- What are they doing? They are hungering. They are thirsting. Their life in God is likened to two of the most basic human pursuits, food and water. These happy people are joyful in spirit, for they have come to crave the spiritual food and water which Christ supplies.
- To what end do they hunger and thirst? To know Christ more. God alone is righteous and His righteousness is given to those who trust in Jesus through faith. The end of all their pursuits, the goal of their seeking is to be sustained by the fruit of Christ’s cross, our purchased righteousness. “For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” 2 Corinthians 5:21
For they shall be satisfied
- Why are they happy? Because they have been satisfied in the Son of righteousness. They are daily hungering and thirsting after His life giving bread, and thirst quenching water. There is no other pursuit which compares to this. All others are vain wanderings. Empty wells. Stale bread. Only Jesus is the true bread from Heaven. He is the living water from on high sent to satisfy the thirsty souls of sinners.
- Are you the “they” which Jesus is speaking of? Begin finding all your joy and happiness in Him, and Him alone? You must, for there is no other way. The only blessed man is the one whose faith is in Jesus, whose eyes are on Jesus, and whose daily pursuit is Jesus Christ, the righteous.